Athy, Ireland – Five teenagers have died and four other people have been seriously injured in a crash involving a car driving in the wrong direction on a motorway in the Republic of Ireland, police said.
Gardaí confirmed the bodies of the youths, all male, had been removed from the scene of the two-vehicle collision, which happened at about 3am on Sunday on the M9 in County Kildare.
The force said the occupants of the second vehicle involved, three women, two in their 30s and one in her 20s, and a boy, all remained in hospital with serious injuries.
Key developments:
- Death toll: Five teenage males killed
- Injured: Four people seriously injured (3 women + 1 boy)
- Location: M9 motorway, junction 3 near Athy, County Kildare
- Time: Approximately 3am on Sunday
- Cause: Vehicle travelling wrong direction on motorway
- Commissioner comment: "Horrific" incident; some wrong-way driving done for "social media likes"
- Previous incident: 9 injured on M50 in Dublin last weekend
- Investigation: Referred to police ombudsman Fiosrú
- Appeal: Gardaí seek witnesses and dashcam footage
- Postmortems: To take place at Naas general hospital
The Garda commissioner, Justin Kelly, described the head-on collision between the two cars as "horrific" and said "in some cases" vehicles were being driven on the wrong side of motorways for social media likes.
Last weekend, nine people were injured in a head-on collision on the M50 in Dublin involving a car travelling in the wrong direction.
Describing Sunday's crash, Kelly said: "These family members were travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway.
"This horrific incident, after the recent collision on the M50, shows how irresponsible and dangerous driving on the wrong side of the motorway is.
"That, of course, should be self-evident, but what makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes, regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves."
Ombudsman Investigation
He added: "As this particular incident has been referred to Fiosrú, the police ombudsman, I am constrained in what I can say in detail about this incident, but I know that gardaí do what they can to stop such vehicles while also taking into consideration all other road users.
"Gardaí are put in a really challenging situation dealing with such incidents."
Officers are investigating the circumstances of the crash, which happened at junction 3 of the motorway, near Athy, at about 3am on Sunday.
Emergency services had been alerted to reports of a vehicle travelling southbound on the M9 northbound carriageway.
Hospital Updates
Earlier, a Garda Síochána spokesperson said the female driver and front-seat passenger of the second car had been taken to Tallaght university hospital, and were in a critical condition.
A female rear-seat passenger, in her 20s, was taken to St Luke's general hospital in a serious condition.
The third passenger, a child, was taken to the Children's Health Ireland at Crumlin in Dublin, also in a serious condition.
The bodies of the teenagers who died were taken to Naas general hospital, where postmortem examinations were due to take place.
Appeal for Information
Gardaí appealed for anyone who witnessed the collision or has dashcam footage to come forward.
🚗 The Big Picture
Five teenage males have died and four others are seriously injured after a car was driven the wrong way on Ireland's M9 motorway near Athy, County Kildare. The head-on collision, which occurred at 3am on Sunday, has prompted the Garda commissioner to condemn "horrific" wrong-way driving that is "in some cases" being done for social media likes. The incident comes just a week after nine people were injured in a similar wrong-way crash on Dublin's M50. The crash has been referred to the police ombudsman, and Gardaí have appealed for witnesses and dashcam footage as investigations continue.
What's Next
Key developments to watch:
- Postmortems: Examinations to be carried out at Naas hospital
- Ombudsman inquiry: Fiosrú investigation into the crash
- Hospital updates: Condition of four seriously injured survivors
- Witness appeal: Public urged to provide dashcam footage
- Road safety review: Possible measures to prevent wrong-way driving
🚗 For more breaking news and updates: Visit NewsOrbit – World Breaking News for the latest headlines from around the globe.