✈️ PLANE-CRASH

BREAKING: Tourist Plane Crashes Over Peru's Nazca Lines, Killing 13

Nazca, Peru – A tourist plane carrying foreign visitors crashed in southern Peru near the Nazca Lines on Saturday, killing all 13 people on board, including 11 foreign tourists and two pilots, local authorities confirmed.

🔴 BREAKING 13 dead after tourist plane crashes near Nazca Lines in Peru; investigation underway

Local authorities in Nazca confirmed that 11 tourists and two pilots died when the Cessna Grand Caravan crashed in Pueblo Viejo, approximately 4 miles (6km) from the city of Nazca and roughly 12km from the Nazca Lines site.

The passengers were identified as seven Italians, two Germans – believed to be a couple – and two Spanish people. The pilot and copilot were named as Americo Salazar Cuellar and Irenka Del Carpio respectively.

Key developments:

  • Fatalities: 13 confirmed dead (11 tourists, 2 pilots)
  • Nationalities: 7 Italians, 2 Germans, 2 Spanish
  • Aircraft: Cessna Grand Caravan
  • Location: Pueblo Viejo, near Nazca, Peru
  • Time: Crashed at 1:20pm local time, minutes after takeoff
  • Departure: Pisco city, bound for Nazca Lines overflight
  • Cause: Under investigation, unknown at this time
  • Previous incidents: 2022 crash killed 7, 2010 crash killed 6, 2008 crash killed 5
  • UNESCO site: Nazca Lines attract hundreds of thousands of tourists annually

The plane had departed the nearby city of Pisco at about 1pm local time (7pm BST) to fly over the Nazca Lines, but minutes later lost contact with the control tower and crashed at 1.20pm, police reported.

The cause of the crash is as yet unknown, and the local authorities have launched an investigation.

"We have information that 11 passengers and two crew members have died," Police Major Jorge Andrade told reporters at the crash site.

"Given the severity of the accident, there are no survivors. We have recovered four bodies so far," Andrade added.

13
People killed
11
Tourists on board
7
Italian passengers
2
German passengers
2
Spanish passengers
6km
From Nazca city

Deadly History of Flights Over Nazca Lines

This deadly plane crash is far from the first at the UNESCO World Heritage site, which attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists every year. Several operators compete to offer overflights of the iconic lines which date to AD200-700, amid serious concerns about the safety and maintenance of the aircraft.

Previous incidents:

  • 2022: A small plane crash killed seven people, including two Chileans and three Dutch nationals
  • October 2010: Four British tourists and two Peruvian crew members killed when a plane operated by AirNasca crashed
  • Earlier 2010: Three Chileans and four Peruvians died when a Cessna 206 crashed
  • April 2008: Five French tourists killed in another crash, but the pilot survived

The Guardian has seen video footage which showed firefighters and police working amid the smouldering wreckage of the plane in the desert. Images appeared to show bodies on the sand.

Official Statements

"The investigation of the accident and the oversight of aviation operations are the responsibility of the competent authorities, who will determine the causes and assign liability in accordance with the law," the municipality of Nazca said in a statement on Saturday.

Peru's tourism ministry expressed "deep sorrow over the tragic deaths of tourists and crew members" in a statement.

The Nazca Lines

The mysterious etchings in the desert, which include vast hummingbird, monkey and whale figures, are only fully visible from the air. The UNESCO World Heritage site attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists annually who take flights to view the geoglyphs.

Safety concerns have long been raised about the small aircraft operators that offer these overflights, with multiple fatal crashes occurring over the past two decades.

✈️ The Big Picture

A Cessna Grand Caravan carrying 13 people crashed near the Nazca Lines in Peru, killing all on board including 11 foreign tourists from Italy, Germany and Spain. The aircraft had departed from Pisco for a sightseeing flight over the UNESCO World Heritage site but lost contact with the control tower minutes later. This tragedy marks the latest in a series of deadly crashes involving overflights of the iconic geoglyphs, raising renewed questions about aviation safety standards for tourist operations at one of South America's most visited attractions. Peruvian authorities have launched an investigation while the world mourns the victims.

What's Next

Key developments to watch:

  • Investigation: Peruvian authorities determining the cause of the crash
  • Body recovery: Efforts to recover and identify all victims
  • Consular assistance: Support for families of foreign nationals
  • Aviation safety review: Potential review of safety standards for tourist flights
  • International response: Reactions from Italy, Germany and Spain

✈️ For more breaking news and updates: Visit NewsOrbit – World Breaking News for the latest headlines from around the globe.

This article was last updated on August 2, 2026 at 5:16 AM
Back to News Hub