Flores, Indonesia โ Rescue crews dug through collapsed buildings and landslide debris in eastern Indonesia on Sunday as they searched for bodies and possible survivors a day after a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake killed at least 51 people, injured more than 100 and displaced thousands.
At least 24 people died in Manggarai regency and 17 in neighbouring East Manggarai, with additional fatalities reported in Sikka, Ngada and Ende regencies, the national disaster management agency said. Rescuers were still searching for people feared buried beneath landslides triggered by the quake across six regencies on Flores, a predominantly Catholic island in Muslim-majority Indonesia.
The magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck 68km (42 miles) north-northwest of Ende in East Nusa Tenggara province, the USGS said. The quake, at a depth of about 10km (6 miles) off the coast of Flores, rattled much of the island and sent residents fleeing in panic. Tremors were also felt in neighbouring West Nusa Tenggara and parts of southern Sulawesi.
Key developments:
- Death toll: At least 51 confirmed dead, more than 100 injured
- Displaced: Thousands forced into temporary shelters
- Homes destroyed: More than 900 homes destroyed, nearly 450 damaged
- Public facilities: 167 schools, health centres and churches damaged
- Landslides: Blocked sections of Trans-Flores Highway
- Tourist impact: Labuan Bajo, gateway to Komodo park, affected
- Aftershocks: Thousands sleeping outdoors fearing tremors
- Relief efforts: Rice, water, blankets and medicine distributed
- Challenges: Power outages, communication disruptions hamper rescue
- Historical context: 1992 quake killed 2,500 on Flores
The disaster agency said the quake destroyed more than 900 homes and damaged nearly 450 more, forcing about 5,000 people into temporary shelters. Thousands more spent the night outdoors, fearing strong aftershocks. At least 167 public facilities, including schools, health centres and churches, were also damaged.
Relief workers have begun distributing rice, ready-to-eat meals, drinking water, blankets and medicine, while emergency shelters were being set up for displaced residents. Authorities said restoring electricity and communications as well as delivering aid to remote villages isolated by landslides remained among the biggest challenges.
Resident Accounts
The quake also struck Labuan Bajo, the gateway to Komodo national park, one of Indonesia's best-known tourist destinations. Landslides blocked sections of the Trans-Flores Highway, a roughly 700km (435 mile) road linking communities across the mountainous island.
Many residents continued to sleep outside rather than risk returning to damaged homes.
"The shaking was terrifying, so intense that my house nearly collapsed," said Anastasia Imad, a farmer in Labuan Bajo, speaking from a makeshift green tent beside her damaged home. "We feared the aftershocks would bring it down on us while we slept."
Rescue Operations
Teams resumed searches on Sunday in areas that had remained inaccessible since the quake, particularly in Manggarai, East Manggarai and Nagekeo regencies.
"We have cleared most landslides and reopened roads to previously isolated villages, although communication disruptions and power outages continue to hamper search efforts," said Fathur Rahman, head of the search and rescue office in Maumere, the capital of Sikka regency.
He said rescuers were focusing on searching the rubble of collapsed homes and other buildings for possible victims.
Indonesia's Seismic History
Indonesia, an archipelago of more than 17,000 islands, is prone to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions because of its location on the Pacific "ring of fire", a horseshoe-shaped arc of seismic faults and volcanoes.
Flores has experienced some of the country's deadliest disasters. A powerful earthquake and tsunami in 1992 killed about 2,500 people on the island.
In 2018, a magnitude 7.5 earthquake triggered a tsunami on Sulawesi that killed more than 4,400 people. In 2004, a magnitude 9.1 quake off Sumatra unleashed a tsunami that killed about 230,000 people in a dozen countries.
๐ The Big Picture
Rescue teams are racing against time in eastern Indonesia as the death toll from a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake rises to at least 51, with more than 100 injured and thousands displaced. The shallow quake, which struck at a depth of just 10km off the coast of Flores, destroyed over 900 homes and damaged nearly 450 more, along with 167 public facilities including schools, health centres and churches. Survivors, terrified of aftershocks, have been sleeping outdoors in makeshift shelters. Relief efforts are being hampered by power outages, communication disruptions and landslides that have blocked sections of the Trans-Flores Highway. Indonesia, located on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," has a long history of devastating earthquakes, including a 1992 quake that killed 2,500 on the same island.
What's Next
Key developments to watch:
- Death toll: Expected to rise as search continues
- Rescue operations: Efforts to reach isolated villages
- Humanitarian aid: Distribution to displaced residents
- Infrastructure: Restoring power and communications
- Aftershocks: Continued seismic activity
๐ For more breaking news and updates: Visit NewsOrbit โ World Breaking News for the latest headlines from around the globe.